Friday, July 20, 2018

Chicken Mittens and Dahlov Ipcar

Here are two of my latest pairs of mittens - they will go in my Etsy Shop soon. I've been knitting a lot this summer - when I haven't been gardening that is. The top/right side are an adult medium pair of Chicken Mittens, the smaller pair are owls. When I am knitting, I sit next to a window listening to books on my phone through CloudLibrary. Attached to the window is a clear bird feeder - the birds eat and I knit - this IS the life.
There is the MOST WONDERFUL show of Dahlov Ipcar's work at the Bates Museum of Art, in Lewiston. The show is free and runs until October 6, 2018. This is a very comprehensive and varied collection - with 70 works of art. The paintings are colorful, enormously imaginative, playful, clever - I could go on, you get the idea. There are also illustrations from her books, prints, and then there are the soft sculpture animals, oh my! The photo here is a mother opossum with an attached brood.
I do a lesson on Dahlov Ipcar with my 5th graders. Fortunately the folks at the museum let me take pictures and gave me permission to post them (you can too). I will now have many more examples to show my students. If you can - check out this show - you will be very glad you did. It's called: 'Blue Moons & Menageries'.