Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer in Maine... bugs, art, gardens, more art

Today is the first day of summer! School and teaching Art, ended yesterday. School year endings are always bittersweet. I have to say 'good-bye' to my 8th Graders. And YES! - they were the most awesome class of 8th Graders I have ever had. I wish them well, and hope they have wonderful experiences in high school. 'TAKE ART CLASSES!'
With summer, comes my chance to work full time in my studio. I have a couple of books I'm working on - writing and illustrating. I know of a poster contest... And I have some large paintings in the works. I hope I'm not planning too much. I do like the feeling of getting things done - but I don't like to be overwhelmed. When I'm juggling a nice combination of creative projects, they play off each other, and add a depth to each that can't be predicted.
There's also the garden, the chickens, a new mitten design, reading books, and visiting family and friends. Life is good. Well, except for the bugs.